Encouraging creativity, diversity and collaboration, I have worked in an especially wide range of music settings including Jazz, Pop, Classical and Folk.
As a composer/arranger, I have been awarded commissions and artistic residencies for distinctive pieces in contemporary, jazz and popular music genres.
Singapore (2020- )
Patrick is currently Lecturer of Popular Music at LASALLE College of the Arts. In addition to helping to create an innovative horizontal curriculum, he curates:
- RIF (Two-Day Rock & Indie Festval).
- The Popular & Jazz Music workshops at the Ministry of Education’s EMP-MEP summer music camps.
- Student showcases.
From 2014-2020, Patrick earned a PhD in Music Education focussing on Assessment of Improvisation in Music Examinations. He also:
- Supervised undergraduates in Music and Education subjects.
- Established Homerton Jazz, a music programme consisting of a jazz orchestra and the University’s only student-led weekly jazz jam-session.
- Was awarded the Barton Prize for making ‘the most outstanding contribution to Homerton College life over the past year’.
In 2005, Patrick was awarded an MA in Music Performance from The Irish World Academy. While in Limerick, he
- Developed and lectured for new courses on Jazz and Improvisation.
- Taught woodwind performance to undergraduates.
- Toured internationally with The Irish Harp Orchestra & Irish Chamber Orchestra.
- Mentored and tutored hundreds of young learners at The Croagh School of Music and The Irish Harp Centre.
Email: patrick.olsen [at] lasalle.edu.sg